RANGIROA TO HAWAII PART I

In the April 28th post we had Dick and crew awaiting the departure of Maureen. Here we go thanks to ham radio. 

April 24~~Well, Maureen will be leaving this morning so now looking for the weather window within, say, the next week to head for Hawaii. The local breeze at the moment is NW. Not great for heading north, although it would give us more easting before heading north and trying to stay a bit east of north. Also there is the possibility of heading NE to the atolls Ahe and Manihi, but not high on my list.

This part was intended for Geoff Nevill, another engineering mate of Dick and Maurie. Geoff is doing the weather routing for VK.

Interested to hear what you see on Predict wind. The last Grib files we got showed 8 to 14kn easterlies once we got a degree or 2 further north.
Excellent snorkeling and sealife here at Rangiroa.

April 25~~ham message write-up by Dick which takes us back to Papeete.

Rangiroa Atoll. French Polynesia

April 25, 2018

Van Kedisi was the only boat to be unloaded from the Damgracht in Papeete Harbour. There were some difficulties as the crane was on the opposite side of the vessel and could not boom down far enough to unload the Van Kedisi. However, this was nothing new to the crew, who simply heeled the ship 4 degrees using huge pumps and ballast tanks.
We spent a few days in Tahiti at the Taina anchorage attending to the formalities and getting a fibreglass propane tank filled. New Zealand will not fill fibreglass propane tanks. We bought duty free diesel, filled the water tanks in the frequent tropical downpours, snorkeled on the reef and got accustomed to sweating again.
We sailed the few hours downwind to Moorea, which is guide book spectacular. We hiked along the “Pineapple Road”, an excellent concrete road that appears to be made using coral as aggregate. There are a number of new pineapple plantations under development.
The light north easterly wind was less than ideal for the 200 n.m. passage to Rangiroa Atoll. The best we could do was motor sail on a course that was 20 degrees west of our destination. There were numerous squalls and occasional lightning.
We arrived at the Pass Avatoru, the most westerly of the two passes, at 0815, having watched a pink sunrise as we motored alongside the low lying Rangiroa Atoll. The atoll is huge, about 40 miles by 17. Fortunately, the tide was good for us and we were able to negotiate the pass without encountering any undue current or standing waves.
From the anchorage at Tiputa, the second pass, we joined the punters on the National Geographic Orion snorkeling at the “Aquarium.” Absolutely fabulous. Healthy coral bomies rising 10 m from the sea floor and populated with so many different colourful fish, schools of fish, moral eels and the common black and white tipped reef sharks, who happily have no interest in us.
Lots of bird and fish life inside the atoll, which restored a small amount of hope that some regeneration is going on and the ocean is not as empty as I have been reporting. We joined the lazy dogs and cheerful locals on the bank of Pass Tiputa to watch several species of dolphins surfing and doing flips in the large standing waves. We will definitely leave via the Pass Avatoru during slack water!
Maureen left on Tahiti Air for Papeete and Auckland.

Distance sailed from Bodrum, Turkey to Opua, NZ: 17,304 n.m

Distance for proposed voyage to Victoria: NZ – Tahiti 2,220 n.m. ( by ship); Tahiti – Hawaii 2,270 n.m.; Hawaii – Victoria 2770 n.m.

Blog maintained by Marian:    https://sailvankedisi.wordpress.com

Boat location by inReach:      https://share.garmin.com/VanKedisi

April 27~~ham radio.

135 miles first day. 768 to equator
good wind so far but very bumpy.
All moving slow, except Steven having happy hour beer (we can surmise that only Steven had his sea legs) 

April 28~~ham radio.

dolphins at sunset, and a 150 mile day and all good

April 30~~ham radio.

Caught 34″ mahimahi – good for 4 dinners. 162 n.m. day, but we have reefed genny to make ride a bit less uncomfortable.

May 2~~ham radio.

We have a pet bird, Big like a gannet but different colouring. Brought 4 mates today.
The inner forestay broke. We have rigged a replacement until we get to Hawaii. Result of all the slamming. Much quieter and slower right now – more comfortable.

Morning Geoff,
0500 here, 2-10 S, 145-31 W, and the wind has dropped to 6 kn, still mainly east but heading us a little.
Can you get any definition as to where the doldrums are?
Are we there?

Only 88 miles last 24 hours. Adverse current and less wind. It is a cooler overcast day and we are now less than 100 miles from the equator. and i need to put a sweater on!
A bit bouncy again

May 3~~ham radio.

We should reach equator tomorrow.
That will be 900 miles sailed with 1300 to go.
There is a nasty calm patch ahead of us in 4 days,
The inner forestay is the one that the staysail is on. Completely frayed at mast end. Did not fall because of staysail halyard. Hopefully replace in the big island – Hawaii, otherwise Oahu. At least they probably speak English!

Hi Geoff,
Just 10 n.m. to the equator.
We have a waypoint pencilled in at 10N, 148W.
However, we still plan to keep east a bit. Want to avoid the pounding associated with the wind forward of the beam.
Still have the mysterious current 1 kn against.

Hi there,
crossed the equator at 1047 our time. Had a little party.
Motion much better and no slamming.
All well

May 5~~ ham radio.

This morning we passed the half-way point to the big island, Hawaii. All going well, cold beer and fresh mahimahi. 9 days on starboard tack.
However, maybe pushed a bit hard at the beginning and the good old VK slamming took its toll on the leeward rigging – does not like bouncing around.
Inner forestay broke at upper swaging, port shroud has 3 broken strands at upper swaging. Steven up mast, only half-way, and rigged temporary inner forestay.  (as Steven’s mom it makes me a bit queazy to imagine Steven half-way up the mast while bouncing around in the middle of the Pacific~~glad he was there and not just the old farts) 

May 6~~ham radio.

Hi Geoff,
We have the twin genoa rig up for the past 12 hours. Doing 4.5 kn in 9 kn SE on course 355 true. We aim to be in the best position possible when the NE arrives.
Can you have a look on the internet and see what our options are for a rigger in Hawaii?
We need 5/16 inch 1/19 stainless standing rigging. We need a swaged fitting at the top and a STA-LOK fitting at the deck.
Thanks mate

May 7~~ham radio.

We passed through the doldrums last night. WE were not moving for a few hours and then the NE trades filled in at 6 knots. We now have 13 kn and are on course for Honokohau which is 878 n.m. away at 2030 local time. We are staying 10 to 15 degrees high (north) to try to protect ourselves from being headed. So far all good. Hard to believe, what is it, 12  days on starboard tack and probably the rest of the trip. The entire passage on starboard tack.

May 9~~ham radio.

Bumpy night out here, but .5 kn favourable current.
On course 320T doing 6/7 kn with 678 n.m. to go to Honokohau.
Wind currently 16 kn at 90 degrees S.
Cheers
Dick

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s